Friday, March 15, 2013

Digging deeper: ARD CER steering mod V.3.1/ Suspension Mod V.1

This idea of customizing my chassis caught me. Now I can't stop. I just hope it's all for good.
As I shown before, Alex is now rocking a full Yokomo front suspension. So, what has been done?



The full spares list as follows:

- Team Suzuki front arms (+1mm)
- Team Suzuki Universal Drive shafts
- 7 Yokomo caster blocks
- Yokomo knuckles 
- And a threaded kingpin



After trying TS arms, it appeared that they have wrong shaft holes diameter - right about time to drill some bigger holes.
Then, I tried them on. Unfortunately, my friend, who I bought these arms from, forgot to tell me that hey were +1mm, meaning I now had f*cking wide front track and shafts were dropping out of one-way. Not to worry, I said to myself, and got back to my dremel. 



Do you know how much courage it is needed to cut TS arms? Not to much, assuming you do it at 3AM :-) So, what is done - is done. shorter arms, new holes - front track gets a bit narrower than the stock ARD suspension. Shafts are a bit too long now, but that I have just enough camber to go. Superb!


 A little bit about the lower caster blocks. THere is one thing most people worry about - that's the ammount of play they give. I was told a very simple and elegant solution on how to make these caster blocks play-less.
THe main reason for blocks play are the kingpins. You will need a part SD-414B, nothing special, widely available.


This is to replace the standard kingpin. Then, you need a 1-1,5mm piece cut off from standard kingpins - this step is very important, if you want to keep your bearings safe, steering smooth, and with 0 play.
Simply bolt the hub onto the bolt, using thread lock. Then insert it into the block. You will see that the top of the hub is lower than the edge of the bearing - you place the 1mm ring you previously cut right on top. And that's about it. Tighten the knuckle properly and you are all done. 0 play!

Getting back to my setup, here is the steering assembly top view. Shorter knuckle arms meant totally new steering design was needed. But I managed to set it up with almost 0 Ackerman along steering travel and at full lock.

And yet, something I wished for a long time ago. FInally I managed to make it work. ARD shock tower is very narrow, with very limited space for additional holes.
It's all working just as it should, and I'm up to test it tomorow. Stay tuned




No comments:

Post a Comment