Saturday, April 6, 2013

Drift Lab GT86

It's time i told you about my new project - Drift lab GT86.
After making my first GT, I fell in love with the body. It's very stylish, it has it's own character and it really opens up the track, thanks to its short rear bumper.



So, I needed something to impress at the D1-10 event this year. If you have ever seen Team Orange bodies, you probably understand, that competing with them is extremely difficult. These guys make pure shelf queens and put them on the track.


The "impress build" is not a straightforward thing. Nice body, cool body color, polycarbonate engine - no one is going to be impressed with that any more. To do something unique, you have to think outside the box.
Firstly I thought of making a zenki S14 with rocket bunny or Uras body kit. Pretty impressive, I'd say. 2 bodies, 2 body kits. But as I remember from last year, long wide bodies don't drift well on big tracks. I needed more downforce.


So I stopped with something I really enjoyed, watching Tokyo autosalon reviews - Uras GT 86. 


There is something that deeply touches me inside. It looks very aggressive, supporting my driving style, but at the same time it does not throw this aggressiveness in your face, which is kinda similar to my calm personality. No doubts, it's a love at first sight. And I am in the process of making this body come to life.

I chose Tamiya GT 86 as a donor, because, in my opinion,  it's the most accurate Gt 86 out there. And it's pure stock, which is better for body kit application.
 Not much have been done so far. Only real carbon roof and rear wing side plates for now. Still desiding on the paint scheme. Still waiting for the inspiration and a body kit.

List of works:
- Semi-custom body kit
- Custom BMW-style tail lights
- Real roll cage from metal tubes
- Demi works V1 engine bay
- Servo opened hood
- Massive hood vent, custom made as well
- Probably an interior with my beloved steering wheel.

Something to give you an idea on the paint scheme. I'll try to put up some photoshop renders a bit later.



And some progress photos. Enjoy and stay tuned. more to come!







1 comment: